Tuesday, March 16, 2010

REVIEW: STORMWRATH ''Swords of Armageddon''


TRACKLIST:

1.Swords of Armageddon
2.Black Legion
3.Ascend to Hell
4.Militant Messiah
5.Revenge
6.Beyond Trinity
7.Throw the Hammer
8.Ride the Scythe

TRACK BY TRACK ANALYSIS

1. ''Swords of Armageddon''

Upon my very first listen of this album (this being the second time around),I noted quite an interesting blend of styles and influences all through the journey.Stormwrath is primarily a thrash metal band,but since one of its founding members Jose obviously has very eclectic tastes when it comes to metal (knowing him personally,I can assure you this statement is fully verified),each and every track has its phases that are very blatantly reserved to separate sub-genres within the panoply that exist.With this first cut and its absolutely smoking drumwork,we are taken unto a very thrashy assault,with mid-tempo passages that showcase the band's ability of writing an efficient rythmic section (these passages being enjoyable as opposed to being a complete letdown or a ''roadblock'').

2. ''Black Legion''

The first track being a very nifty introduction to the band's sound,this one is most definitely a full-on grasp onto its very roots.As the track begins,I am immediately reminded of ''Diabolus in Musica''-era Slayer.Being a very vocal and fervent fan of said record (while everyone else is making it their duty to stomp all over it),I was immediately hooked.The guitar melodies most definitely reminded me of the most memorable moments of said record,the ones that remained etched upon my brain on the very first listen.One thing I can safely say to those who understimate ''Diabolus in Musica'' is that Stormwrath's take on this sound includes a very strong emphasis on song patterns that alternate between mid-tempo parts and absolute thrash metal fury stacked up with face-melting fucking riffs that will make you go straight back to that Slayer album you thought you hated.This track is going to make you re-discover the efficiency of the menacing down-tempo moments on a metal record.These emphasyze the importance of the rythmic section and also the raw songwriting skills of a musician who NEEDS to have a good sense of which melodies work,and which don't.Based on this alone,''Black Legions'' is the track I'm going to stream on my radio show this very weekend.

3. ''Ascend to Hell''

Wow.Just...wow.This track might be the best thrash metal song I've heard in the past three months.The main-riff yet again screams Slayer influence at the top of its lungs.The blinding skill of the guitar work in this song totally gets my head spinning.This is a slab of pure oldschool thrash goodness,and it doesn't drop the ball for the slightest second.For the entire three minutes of its lenght,it fucking pummels you with outstanding riff idea atop outstanding riff idea.It also has a slight punk edge that all thrash metal diehards know to embrace.

4. ''Militant Messiah''

We are yet again standing face-to-face with an extremely well though-out and well-crafted display of patterned songwriting.I am using the word patterned in a very positive light when it comes to this album.I am going to focus your attention on the incredible creativity in the constant change of pace in the drumwork,and the way it perfectly fleshes out the driving rythmic force of the song,making it sound like a brand new and revitalized riff by the simple way it cooperates with it,as that main rythmic section morphs in a very subtle and progressive fashion (in the mid-tempo passages).This totally impresses me when it comes to the absolutely atomic chemistry between this band's drummer and rythm guitarist.I might also add that some of the riffs in that song seemed like a very interesting tribute to ''Justice'' era Metallica,these riffs being incredibly steel-solid foundations to build upon.

5. ''Revenge''

If you miss ''Reign in Blood''-era Slayer like most of us self-respecting metalheads,this track is the one you might want to visit ahead of the rest of the joypack.It is very much in the same lignée as ''Ascend to Hell'',infused with about a thousand times more malevolent Hanneman-type riffage,and what I would qualify the most amazing vocal performance of the entire deal so far.I can also hear a very subtle twang of hardcore influence within the very few mid-tempo sections of this song.

6. ''Beyond Trinity''

Iron Maiden meets Slayer.Have you ever thought this was actually possible?No,neither have I.This track takes me right across the map of the evergrowing family of metal sub-genres and then back,and then some.It starts out as a nearly accoustic baby,morphs into absolutely fucking sweet Iron Maiden-ish riffage,and,against all odds,becomes the meanest thrash metal beast you could possibly imagine,displaying the most vicious and skillful lead-guitar work since the beginning of the disc,fading into Iron Maiden goodness I'll never get tired of,to end with the very same accoustic-type feeling of the beginning of the song.If this is not a masterful craft,I wonder what is.I never expected I could possibly change my mind about this,but this is the very first song I'm going to air on my show,and I'm going to pitch it to other promoters from the very moment I am allowed to do so.

7. ''Throw the Hammer''

Old Wave of British Heavy Metal is written all across this track,complete with its remarkable nods to Motorhead.The fact that the spirit of thrash metal is less present on this cut indicates that the last moments of this album are much more focused on the melodic aspect of the music rather than the I-will-tear-you-up explosions we have savoured all through the disc so far.Here we have an interesting cross between OWOBH and a very,very strong dose of punk.I must give my thumbs up to the vocalist once again,for delivering a vocal performance that adds layers and layers of character to this cut.

8. ''Ride the Scythe''

I am always very curious to see just how each and every band is going to organize the grand finale of their albums.They know they have to make a very memorable last impression with every offering,and with each and every band I've heard lately,I can safely say the last track of an album is always the moment of truth.
In Stormwrath's case,I am not upset.The track starts out with a bit of a stoner doom feel,complete with the jazzy organ in the background,turning into a LoG infused thrashcore interlude,and taking a very unexpected path towards a viking-inspired vocal-driven accoustic passage that ends the song on quite a charming note.

RATING: 10/10 I have absolutely nothing negative to say about this disc.I have heard the most impressive tracks I've ever heard in months of active band-promotion.I am officially convinced that Stormwrath is going to become a strongly influential thrash metal band in the months to come.You fucking watch.

-Noch

TAKE NOTE: I will stream the track ''Beyond Trinity'' on this Saturday March 20th installment of ''C.R.O.C. Underground Metal''.You can tune in at 7 PM EST on www.radioquebec.biz or www.frankoradio.com.The re-broadcast airs on Sunday,also at 7 PM EST,on the same two channels.A downloadable version of the installment will be uploaded to my MySpace page the following Monday.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment